Volunteer and Serve
It's easy to get involved in Allen! From leadership groups to book clubs and social service organizations, you'll find a comprehensive mix of interests and needs. Use this page to find groups around Allen with opportunities to serve.
Arts and Culture
- Allen Arts Alliance: Supports and nurtures local arts and cultural groups who offer inspirational and entertaining experiences to our community
- Allen Heritage Guild: This group oversees the Allen Heritage Center which offers events and resources related to Allen's history.
- Friends of the Allen Public Library: Led by volunteers, this nonprofit group is dedicated to supporting Allen Public Library through fundraisers and programs.
- VolunTeens: Teens age 13-18 can assist Allen Public Library in a variety of volunteer opportunities. VolunTeens are selected in April/May for summer positions and in August for school year positions.
- Allen-Fairview Chamber of Commerce: Members enjoy access to networking and marketing opportunities, small business support and legislative representation.
- Allen Veterans Memorial: Help honor members of the United States Armed Forces by facilitating engraved brick installations prior to Memorial Day and Veterans Day.
- City Boards, Commissions and Committees: These representatives are appointed by City Council to offer advice on various aspects of City development, programs and services.
- Find more groups
Animal Services and Environment
- Adopt-A-Program (area cleanups): Following completion of the Adopters in Training Program, groups and individuals can choose to formally adopt and clean an area or organize one-time cleanups. Sponsored by Keep Allen Beautiful
- Foster an animal in need: Allen Animal Services seeks fosters to care for animals with temporary medical needs, have behavioral issues, are too young for spay/neuter or are otherwise not ready for adoption. Fosters must pass a background check, attend orientation and complete training with a coordinator. Learn more by calling 214.509.4378.
- Volunteer at Allen Animal Shelter: Volunteers age 18+ can assist at the shelter by walking dogs, playing with animals and helping with other tasks as needed. We seek long-term volunteers who can provide consistent care and assistance for our animals. Volunteers must pass a background check and attend an orientation and training. Learn more by calling 214.509.4378.
- Citizens Fire Academy: Experience an inside look at Allen Fire Department during an 8-week course.
- Citizens Police Academy: Experience an inside look at Allen Police Department during a 10-week course.
- Community Emergency Response Team (CERT): Includes training in fire safety, search and rescue, and disaster medical operations. CERT members may assist during certain local emergencies.
- Junior Police Academy: Students entering grades 7 through 9 can experience law enforcement firsthand at this annual summer camp.
- Summer Fire Academy: Students entering grades 5 and 6 can learn what it takes to become an Allen firefighter.
Parks and Recreation
- Allen Parks and Recreation offers volunteer opportunities for adults age 18+ and those seeking court-appointed service hours. Sign up for email updates on opportunities for youth volunteers and practicum students.
- Allen Parks Foundation helps expand development and programming within Allen's park system and recreation facilities.